We baked a Vanilla Sponge cake and frosted it with chocolate butter cream icing.
I love love love the Vanilla Sponge cake recipe from 'CakeBoss' (www.cakeboss.com).The cake comes out PERFECT every time! It has pretty less amount of butter and still it is soft and spongy.It seems, the' beating of the eggs' is the trick....that makes this cakes so spongy.
By popular demand, it's the official CakeBoss Sponge Cake recipe! It is a scratch recipe, and the secret to its light and fluffy texture is the beating of the eggs! This recipe is best made in a stand mixer.
2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup whole milk
1/4 cup butter (lightly salted)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1. Beat eggs in large mixing bowl with paddle attachment for 4 minutes. Do not skip this step!
2. Add sugar, and continue beating for another 4-5 minutes until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and stir on low until just combined.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Add to eggs and sugar on low speed until just combined.
4. In a saucepan, heat milk and butter on low heat just until butter is melted. Add to batter, beat just until combined.
5. Pour into two greased and floured 8" round cake pans.
6. Bake at 325 until the middle springs back when touched, or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let stand in pans for 10 minutes. Then turn out onto wire cooling racks and cool completely.
Hint: Cakes are close to being done when you start to smell them.
My additions to the 'Cake':
Sugar Syrup Spray to make the cake 'extra' moist
1/4 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Water
2-3 drops vanilla essence
Boil 10-12 mins to make the sugar syrup.Let it cool.
1) Loosen the sides of the cake from the pan with a knife.Flip onto a serving platter.
2) Spray the sugar syrup with a spray bottle on the cake from all sides.
Let it soak for 30-45 mins.
3) Frost with your favorite frosting:
Chocolate Butter cream frosting:
Good enough for one 8 inch round cake
1 stick(8 Tbsp) unsalted room temperature butter
1 and 1/2 cups Powdered sugar
1/2tsp Vanilla extract
4-5 tbsp milk
1) Beat all together with stand mixer/hand mixer till smooth and well blended
2) Take out about 1/4th cup of 'white' frosting for decoration.
3) To the rest add 1/2 cup cocoa powder.Mix. Add more for more for more chocolaty color and flavor.
4)Apply on the cake in a thin layer.Smoothen with a butter knife or frosting knife.
5) Decorate as desired with white frosting, m and m's, sprinkles, colored sugar.
Take a bite of this divine chocolaty goodness!