2 Cups chicken cut up in small pieces (I used boneless)
1tsp Chicken curry masala ( store bought/ homemade blend)
1/2tsp red chili powder
Marinate the chicken with the above spices and keep in refrigerator for 1/2 hour.
Then cook in pressure cooker for 2 whistles/ or you can cook in the gravy itself and boil longer till tender.
2 Onions sliced
3/4 cup fresh coconut grated/ or I used 1/2 cup coconut milk+ 1/4 cup dry coconut powder
1 tomato chopped
1tsp Coriander seeds
1tsp Sesame seeds
1tsp Chicken curry masala
1tsp red chili powder
1/2tsp fennel seeds
2 cloves garlic
small piece of ginger
1tsp Shah jeera/cumin
1piece cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
Cilantro for garnish
1) Heat 1 tsp oil. Fry the sliced onions till golden brown, add the grated coconut and fry till golden. (if using dry coconut+ coconut milk, don't add milk at this point)
2) In a blender add the fried onion+coconut mixture, tomato, sesame, fennel, coriander seeds, ginger-garlic and blend into a smooth paste.
3) Heat the remaining oil, add shah jeera, bay leaf, cinnamon stick and the pureed gravy.Fry for few mins.
4) Add the cooked chicken, rest of the spices,salt and coconut milk. Simmer for 5 mins.
5) Serve hot along with Chapati/ Rice or my favorite any kind of 'crusty' bread to soak up that spicy curry!!