What I love about learning to cook and trying out different cuisines is....you not only learn to appreciate different tastes and 'taste combinations' but also get a chance to explore various cooking techniques and methods. And the fun part is...you can pull together all the tastes you like from different cuisines and put together a whole new cuisine i.e Fusion Cuisine which 'wows' your taste buds!
Over the course of this blog..and my overall 'cooking life' I have learnt various techniques and cooking methods from different cuisines and wondered how I can use to make my favorite'dishes' better OR easier OR Tastier OR Healthier??
Here are a few examples-
I tried a 'pastry' like outer crust to make Vegetable Samosa.This uses ice cold butter and water to make a crispy/flaky crust.
I learned to make the famous Indian dessert Rasmalai from Ricotta cheese.
I used 'Tostitos' to make 'Sev poori' like 'Tostitos Chaat'. All these and many more....were fun to cook ,eat and share.
Here is one such 'fusion' recipe of Indian and Italian flavors. I used spice rub like 'tandoori chicken' on fresh Salmon sticks and crusted them with Parmesan-bread crumb mixture. They came out SUPER delicious! The salmon was tender on the inside spiced with indian spices and the outer crust was crispy because of the breading technique. I also made a 'tangy-Spicy-Garlicky'dip with mayonnaise to go along with the sticks.
1 medium sized fresh Atlantic Salmon fillet(ask for 'center 'cut salmon and de-skinned)
1/2tsp Tandoori masala/ Kitchen king masala/ any punjabi flavor masala
1/2tsp Cumin-coriander powder
1/2tsp Chili powder
1/2tsp garlic paste
1/4tsp lemon juice
1/2cup All purpose flour
1/2 cup Italian herbed bread crumbs
1/2 cup Grated parmesan cheese
1)Mix little salt and chili powder in the all purpose flour
2) Beat the egg and add salt and pepper
3) Mix together the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.
Create an assembly line of all these ingredients.The sticks will be dipped in all the three ,one after the other
For the Dip:
1/4tsp Chili powder
1/4tsp garlic paste
1/4tsp chopped Cilantro
Mix all the above together and serve with the fish sticks.
1) Cut the de-skinned salmon into thick 'sticks'. Not too thin otherwise they won't 'hold' nicely.
2) Mix together 1tsp olive oil,tandoori spice, cumin-corainder powder, turmeric,chili powder, lemon juice, garlic paste, salt etc .Rub gently on the fish sticks. Leave in the refrigerator for 1-2 hrs.
3) Pre heat the oven to 425F
5) Dip the spiced sticks in all pupose flour , then the beaten egg and then in the Bread crumb-Parmesan mixture. This creates an nice crust on top of the sticks.
Place on non stick baking tray( or tray sprayed with cooking spray)
6) Drizzle the sticks with olive oil lightly.
7) Bake in the oven at 425F for 20-25 mins till golden brown.
8) serve warm with the above Spicy-garlicky Mayonnaise dip!
Enjoy the fusion of Italian and Indian flavors in these tender and flaky on the inside and crispy on the outside fish sticks! Crunnnnch crunnnnch.....hmmmm delicious!
1) Use Chicken tenders instead of Salmon to make Chicken fingers.
2) Mozarella cheese sticks can also be made in the same way!