I am literally addicted to this stuff!!! I tasted it first, just few weeks ago..when my friend "S" got it along for our New Years 'Cottage stay " trip. Everyone was helping themselves to seconds ...with their toast for breakfast.
This Red Pepper Jelly.... has a perfect combination of "Peppery Sweet-Tangy-Spicy" flavor which makes a perfect companion to a lot of things.
The Red bell peppers impart a beautiful hue of 'Reddish- Orange' without any addition of artificial colors!
3 Red Bell peppers (look for the deep red ones)
3 Habanero peppers (orange colored spicy chili peppers)
2.5 Cups sugar
1/2 Cup Apple Cider vinegar
Zest of 1/2 lemon
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1) Wash the peppers.Dry them with a towel.Cut off the stems and the inner linings and seeds.
( NOTE:: The first time I made this...the habanero peppers made my hands burn for a day....so from then on... I handle them with gloves on!)
2) Cut the red and habanero peppers into super fine pieces. (almost like mincing)
3) In a pan, saute the peppers for 5-8 mins. Add the sugar,vinegar, Salt, lemon zest and juice.
4) Let it come to a rolling boil on medium heat. Once it comes to a rolling boil....boil it further for exactly 5 mins.
5) Take off the heat and let it cool completely.At this point it will be very 'thin' in consistency. Once it cool completely..it will thicken up to a spreadable consistency.
(NOTE: If you want really thick jelly...consider adding Pectin)
6) Cool completely before storing in glass container. I store it in the refrigerator.
7) Serve it along with cream cheese+ crackers or parathas or toast or fried rice or fried chicken or as a spread for sandwiches....endless possibilities:))