The newest trend in the world of cakes are the fusion cakes, where they combine best flavors from two or more cuisines to create one of a kind masterpiece. The one I tasted recently was the 'Gulab Jamun Cheese cake' at an popular Indian restaurant in Nashville,TN at the famous Chefs restaurant- Chauhan Ale and Masala house.Another beautiful cake was baked by a contestant at the cooking competition here for the Ganesh festival.The cake was called 'Gajar Halwa' cake- White moist cake with layers of gajar halwa and whipped cream made it delectable! She won the first prize:)
A friend had send a picture of the new popular cake in Pune- "The Rasmalai cake". Since then, I wanted to try my take on this cake and we had the perfect occasion on this weekend that deserved a special cake! A 70th birthday party!
Here is my version of the Rasmalai Cake which is a spin of the spanish 'Tres Leches' cake.
1 eggless cake baked in a glass tray (I used Pillsbury white cake mix to bake the cake. Prepared the cake as per instructions, but substituted eggs with ¼ cup Greek yogurt)
For Malai/ basundi 3 milk soak
1.5 cups evaporated milk
0.5 cups condensed milk
0.5 cup whole milk
0.5 tsp cardamom powder
¼ tsp nutmeg powder
(For more sweeter taste add more sugar/condensed milk. But remember the cake itself will be sweet too!)
Saffron whipped cream:
1.5 cups heavy whipping cream
4 tsp powdered sugar
1 tsp saffron
8 Rasagullas (I used store bought)
Few drops of yellow coloring (optional)
Chopped pistachios and almonds for garnish
Saffron for garnish
1) Prepare cake as per box instructions. Use Greek yogurt to substitute the eggs. Let the cake cool completely.
2) Prepare the malai/basundi by boiling the evaporated milk, condensed milk and whole milk along with cardamom and nutmeg powder. Let it cool completely.
3) Pour the Basundi over the cooled cake.Let it soak overnight in the refrigerator.
4) Whip the cold heavy whipping cream with a electric mixer with the powdered sugar and 4 tsp milk with saffron strands.If the color is not yellow enough, add few drops of yellow food color. Beat till stiff peaks appear
6) Chill in the refrigerator for few hours. Serve chilled.
Enjoy the delectable moist cake with luscious whipped cream and warm and delicate Indian flavors of cardamon, nutmeg and saffron!