On the weekend, I had planned a simple vegetarian menu for lunch.I call up home in India, and my sister is cooking fish. Oh Boy....just the thought of the crispy spicy fried fish made with a coating of green chutney of coconut, green chilies and cilantro...I was already drooling. Opened up my freezer to find couple Tilapia fish fillets. But then to my disappointment.....no fresh coconut at home.
No problemo :)) I turned the fish into the Indo Chinese Spicy Tangy - Chilli Fish to satisfy my cravings!!
2 Tilapia Fish Fillet cut into bite size chunks
1.5 Yellow Onions cut into slices/ square chunks
½ Green bell pepper
3 green chilies sliced
6tsp All purpose flour
4tsp Corn flour
2tsp Soy sauce
2tsp Maggie Hot and sweet sauce
1 tsp Chili garlic sauce (or Sambal Olek paste)
1tsp ginger garlic paste
1/2tsp Red chili powder
1/4tsp Black pepper powder
Oil to fry
Water for the batter
1) Cut the fish fillet into bite size chunks
2) Mix together all purpose flour ,corn flour, salt , red chili powder, black pepper with water to form a smooth batter. Add the fish pieces to the batter.
3) Heat oil, fry the fish pieces till golden brown. Drain well and keep aside.
4) Saute on little oil the onion, green peppers, green chilies for few seconds. Add the ginger garlic paste and fry for few more seconds.
5) Add the chili garlic sauce, soy sauce and hot and sweet sauce. Toss in the fried fish pieces.
6) Add salt if needed.
7) Toss gently, otherwise the tender fish pieces will fall apart .Take off the heat.
8) Serve hot as appetizer or as a side dish or a main dish….it’s delicious anyways!!