There are some foods....that make you drool the minute you see them....and 'Batata wada' is one of them for me. Spicy potato filling encased in a besan deep fried coating...yummmm.To top the spiciness..eat it with more spicier chutneys and fried green chilies....heaven!!
And the accompaniments are the icing on the cake....you got to have a chutney- green spicy or a sweet-tangy type, fried green chillies, chopped raw onions may be......I am drooling already!!!
3 Boiled and mashed potatoes
1/2 onion chopped
4-5 green chilies finely chopped
2tsp mint cleaves chopped
1tsp Ginger-garlic paste
1/2tsp each cumin, mustard seeds
few curry leaves
oil(for saute and for frying)
3/4 cup Besan(gram flour) + water to make semi thin paste
1/2tsp Ajwain seeds
1/4tsp red chili powder
1) Coating: Mix together besan and water and make into thin paste.Add the ajwain seeds, chili powder, turmeric, salt etc.Keep aside
2) Heat 3tsp oil, add the mustard, cumin, curry leaves, green chilies, onion, ginger-garlic paste etc.Fry for few seconds. Add the boiled mashed potato, salt, mint leaves etc.Mix. Let it cool.
3) Make the potato filling into flat round balls.
4) Heat oil in a deep pan for frying. Dip the potato filling ball into the besan paste and deep fry till golden brown in the hot oil.
5) Serve HOT with Coconut-Peanut-Garlic chutney and fried green chilies.
Or Eat with bread just like the famous Indian street food...'Vada Pav' aka 'Indian burger":)