Popular Recipes

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Puffed Sorghum / Popped Jowar Chivda

"Add a variety of whole grains to your diet".....was the message I gained from 'food' books I was reading.Really what has changed...how many types of grains are we eating compared to our 'traditional diets' (back in India)?? Jowar, Bajra, Nachani (Ragi) ....all very traditional grains to our diets....hardly make it to our daily meals now.
I found this Puffed Jowar Chivda, was a simple, yet tasty snack to add as a 'adding whole grain ' to the diet agenda. And, I remember my grandmother making these as snack, before the whole 'Pop Corn' culture came!
Ingredients:
4 Cups Puffed Sorghum/Jowar ( Found in Indian grocery stores)
1/2 cup peanuts
10-12 curry leaves
1/2tsp mustard seeds
1/2tsp turmeric
1/2tsp red chili powder
4tsp oil
1/4tsp Hing/Asafoetida
salt and sugar to taste

Method:
1) Heat oil, add the mustard seeds. Let them splutter.
2) Add the peanuts, curry leaves and fry till the peanuts turn golden.
3) Add the turmeric, hing, red chili powder and the puffed sorghum.Toss till mixed well.
4) Take off the heat .Let it cool. Store in air tight container.





2 comments:

  1. My aunt also used to make something like this. I will try this sometime. I have not had it long time...I might as well make for myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes..try it Abhijit..it is very easy to make..and a healthy snack too:)

      Delete