Mixing and matching flavors that you like into your favorite dish makes the dish even more delectable!! The melt in your mouth pedhas/ burfis made with ricotta cheese are my favorite and a 'have-to -have' for Diwali kind of sweet!
This year I tried a variation of the old recipe.Added vanilla and dark chocolate and made this beautiful 'Swirl Burfi'!!
425 gm whole milk Ricotta cheese
7 oz Sweet condensed milk\
1 cup dry milk powder
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 cup Dark cocoa powder
2 tsp ghee
Pistachio and Sugar pearls for decoration
1) In a non stick kadhai/skillet, melt 1 tsp ghee. On medium to low flame add the ricotta cheese. Stir for about 15 mins. First the cheese will melt and then start getting thick again. This is similar to Khoya/ Khava.
Ricotta can burn easily. So, use non stick skillet and keep the flame low/medium!
2) When it starts leaving the sides of the kadhai,add milk powder. Stir all together. Cook till it starts leaving the sides of the kadhai. This will take about 15 mins or so. The mixture will become thin first and then thick.Add the condensed milk and cook for 5 more mins.
3) Mix well. Take off the gas.Divide into 2 parts.To one part, add vanilla essence.To other add dark chocolate powder.
4) Let it cool. Roll the Vanilla mixture in between buttered parchment paper with a buttered rolling pin.
Layer and roll the dark chocolate layer on top
5) Roll into a log
6) Slice the log gently with a sharp buttered knife. Place the burfi in a cup cake liner.Decorate with pistachio and sugar pearls.
The above ingredients yield about about 30 Burfi depending on how big or small you cut them.