You got to try this Mandarin orange cake out....I am sure you will love it too!!!
1 and 1/2 cup all purpose flour (sifted)
3/4th cup Granulated Sugar
1/3rd Cup Canola oil
1/4 th CUP of cut up canned Mandarin oranges in 'light syrup'(cut into tiny pieces)-[Add upto 1/3rd cup for more orange flavor]
1tsp Baking soda
1 tbsp Vinegar
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup 'light syrup' from the canned mandarin oranges
Orange zest of one orange(add more for stronger flavor)
Preheat the oven to 350F (preheating is very imp). Grease the 8 inch round pan or a Bundt pan with vegetable shortening. Apply liberally in all corners.Dust with all purpose flour to coat the pan.
2)First sift flour, sugar separately.Then by a spoon add to the measuring cup to measure exact amounts.Level with a knife.DO NOT pack the flour into the cup.The ratios will change and the cake will not come out as good.
3) Mix wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls.Add the chopped up mandarin oranges and 1/2 of the orange zest to the batter.Save the remaining for the glaze.
4) Mix them together in a single direction.Bubbles will appear as vinegar reacts with baking soda.Do not over- mix.But all the lumps should be gone
5) Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 mins.Do not open the door for first 20 mins atleast.
6) Check with a tooth pick, if the cake is done.The inserted toothpick should come out clean.
7) Flip on a serving platter carefully
8) Let it cool for 1hr or so before glazing
1/2 stick unsalted butter
3/4th cup powdered sugar
Melt butter and mix powdered sugar, milk, orange zest. Mix till smooth and shiny.
Pour over the cooled cake
Sprinkle some orange zest over the zest for garnishing.