One of my favorite party appetizers are these beautiful looking and amazingly tasty 'Samosa Pinwheels'. What's not to like??? Nothing can go wrong with ...Spicy stuffing made with mashed potatoes and warm spices rolled up into puff pastry sheets and then baked to crispy perfection! YUMMMMM..OOO! Baked a large batch for a party at work tomorrow.
The trick however, is getting this beautiful pinwheels pattern. I have had these pinwheels before and not all were able to exhibit this beautiful pattern. So here goes the step by step recipe-
4 Potatoes boiled and washed well (no lumps)
1/2 onion finely chopped
2tsp ginger garlic paste
1tsp chopped curry leaves
1 tsp garam masala powder
1tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2tsp cumin seeds
1/2tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Kasoori methi leaves
1 Puff pastry sheet (Thawed as per package instructions)
1) Heat the oil in pan. Add mustard seed, cumin seeds, curry leaves and chopped onion. Sauté for 2-3 mins.
2) Add ginger garlic paste, turmeric, red chili powder, garam masala powder, mashed potatoes, salt and kasoori methi. Sauté the filling for few mins. The filling should have no lumps. Let the filling cool for 1hr.
** Pre Heat the oven to 400F
3) Roll out the thawed puff pastry sheet. Spread the potato filling evenly on to the sheet, about 1.5cm in thickness. Start rolling the sheet tightly from one end, into a roll.
4) Slice the roll in the center. Wrap the rolls into wax paper and chill in refrigerator for 20mins.
5) After 20 mins, slice the roll. Place the pinwheels on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
6) Bake the pinwheels at 400F for 15-20 mins till golden brown. I like to turn them half way through the baking on the other side to bake evenly on both sides.
7) Serve hot along with your favorite sauce. Enjoy these delicious beauties!
And...You know my favorite! I will of course serve these with "Maggie Hot and Sweet" Sauce :))