Nothing says more 'Puneri' (localite from Pune,Maharashtra,India) than a fan of 'Chitale Bandhu Bakarwadi'! Chitale is ...
So, as I had mentioned earlier Saturday night was the 'Diwali Potluck'. I love these potlucks, first of all we get to meet all the ...
"Add a variety of whole grains to your diet". ....was the message I gained from 'food' books I was reading.Really what...
"Puliogare"(Tamarind Rice) ..the quick version with MTR Puliogare powder..has become my 'to-go' favorite recipe! The ri...
I love the way some 'Cooking tips' and 'Tricks' spread from ear to ear...and then everyone around you..is making it the s...
Now that I have the ' perfect ' recipe for eggless cakes .....I am trying all sorts of flavors with a little modification to the sam...
I love Jalapeno Poppers!!! The first time, I had them was here in the USA.We were newly married and 'M' took me to this really fancy...
Monday, January 11, 2010
"Everyday Cooking"- Bitter Gourd Crisps
Back home, once in a while, my mom would make either curry or these crisps with bitter gourd....under the reason that " it cleans out your system"....."it controls blood sugar"...."its good for you" etc etc. I guess all that was true....but as kids...we hardly understood.
Then there was this chain of stores..."Hot Chips" was the name...they would make literally zillion varieties of chips.....from different veggies and fruits.It was awesome how much variety they had. They also sold these 'Bitter Gourd Chips"...
1 small bitter gourd
1/4tsp chili powder
1 pinch sugar
1) Slice the bitter gourd as thinly as possible into circles. Hollow out the center and the seeds.
2) On a flat non stick pan heat a thin layer of oil. Arrange the bitter gourd slices on the oil.
3) Season with turmeric, chili powder, salt etc. Let them fry and 'crisp up'.
4) Turn the crisps on the other side.Let it brown and become crisp on very low flame.Press the crisps with flat spatula while they crisp up to squeeze any liquid out.
5) Once they "Crisp up", turn off the flame.