So, as I had mentioned earlier Saturday night was the 'Diwali Potluck'. I love these potlucks, first of all we get to meet all the ...
Nothing says more 'Puneri' (localite from Pune,Maharashtra,India) than a fan of 'Chitale Bandhu Bakarwadi'! Chitale is ...
"Add a variety of whole grains to your diet". ....was the message I gained from 'food' books I was reading.Really what...
Ganapati Bappa Moraya!!! I am sure everyone is happy and excited to Welcome Ganapati Bappa tomorrow! Needless to say...I am too. Thi...
Yes this is one of those " Fusion " Cuisine entries....but it was also totally ' Fixing' Cuisine . I had ' Pota...
A recipe...long due to be written. Finally, here it is!! I never had a 'tart' pan before. The other day at Target...I found this ...
Awesome Discovery: Usually I never get to watch TV in the the mornings.....too busy doing other things.But last week, 'E' did not ...
Friday, January 15, 2010
"Sweet Treats" - TilGul / Sesame Brittle / Sesame Ladoo
Yesterday I made two types of TilGul/ sesame sweets. One was kind of diamond shape brittle made with Light brown sugar and sesame and the other one with sesame,Jaggery, Peanuts, Chana dalia....called Ladoo.
Both had kind of crunchy /crispy texture.I used to love this kind as kid and even now....But there is a way to make softer ladoos too.Haven't tried that yet though.
Til Vadi/ Sesame Brittle
1.5 cups Light brown sugar / can use jaggery/ white sugar as well
1 cups roasted sesame seeds
1/2 tsp ghee/ clarified butter
1/2tsp Cardamom powder
1) Lightly roast sesame seeds.Let them cool.
2) Lightly grease a flat baking sheet with butter.
3)In a nonstick pan, heat 1/ 2tsp butter, add the light brown sugar.On medium heat let it melt and bubble.
4) Add the sesame seeds, cardamom and mix promptly.Take off heat.
5) Pour on the greased sheet.Spread evenly with buttered spatula or just turning the sheet around.
6) Cut into diamond shapes and let them cool.
7) Carefully break and remove the Sesame brittle from the sheet.
Til Ladoo/ sweet sesame balls
1 cup roasted sesame seeds
1 and 1/4cup jaggery
1/2tsp cardamom powder
1/2cup coarsely crushed peanuts
1/4cup roasted chana dalia
1) Lightly roast sesame seeds, peanuts, chana dalia.Let the cool. Crush the peanuts coarsely.
2) In a non stick pan, heat 1/2tsp butter, add jaggery.Let it melt and bubble for couple minutes.
3) Add sesame, peanuts, chana dalia, cardamom etc and mix well.Remove off the heat.
4) With buttered hands roll the hot mixture into balls.
(I could actually roll only 7-8 ladoos and then my hand were RED....so just reheated the mixture and poured it on sheet to make brittle)
5) Warm a little if it turns dry and roll into balls again.
6) Or simply pour the hot mixture on buttered sheet and make sesame brittle.
Til Gul ghya God Bola!