After making the tilgul, I had hardly any energy left to make this- time consuming novelty.So postponed it untill the weekend....with the hope that 'M' can take care of 'E' and give me ample time in the kitchen.
The Puran Polis came out delicious, nice and soft, moist on inside (how I prefer, rather than the dry powdery Puran) and we ...including 'E' ate till our hearts content!!!
The Puran Polis are typically eaten in Maharashtra with lots of ghee, milk (either saffron flavored or plain or sometimes coconut milk even) and a 'Special dal' called 'Katachi aamti'. This dal is made from the left over dal stock, left after boling the Chana Dal for Puran. The flavor combination of Puran Poli along with this dal and the 'aroma' of this meal is just very festive and heavenly...instantly it brings you back to your home in India.....
1.5 cups Chana dal soaked overnight
1/2 cup grated jaggery (adjust as per sweetness desired)
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp Cardamon powder
1/4tsp nutmeg powder
2 cups Whole wheat flour
1tbsp all purpose flour
Mix everything together and knead into soft dough with warm water.Use oil liberally to make the dough soft.
1) Pressure cook soaked chana dal till well cooked. Drain all the water and keep aside for 'Katachi aamti'.
2) Mash the dal well in a 'Puran machine' or blender.No lumps to be seen.
3) Heat 1tsp ghee in non stick pan.Add the chana dal paste, jaggery, sugar, spices and cook while stirring continously.The mixture will felt become loose due to melting sugar and then start to come together.Come till the mixture is consistency of 'Mashed potato' .Do not let it dry out.
4) After it cools, make lemon size balls of the 'Puran' and also the wheat dough.
5) Roll out the dough and then place the puran in the center.Close from all sides.
6) Roll out the dough into thick 'Poli'...kind of like 'Aloo paratha.
7) Roast on warm skillet with drizzle of oil. Roast on both sides.
8)Serve the warm Polis with Saffron flavored milk, ghee and 'Katachi Aamti'
2 cups dal stock
1/4cup fresh coconut
1 small cinnamon
1 bay leaf
1 tsp tamarind pulp/ amsul
2tsp Goda masala( maharashtrian masala)
5-6 curry leaves
cumin, mustard seeds
1)Heat oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds, cumin, curry leaves, all the spices.
2) Add the daal stock, salt, tamarind, jaggery, goda masala and coconut.
3) Simmer for few minutes.
4) Garnish with cilantro.
5) Serve warm with Puran Poli/ Plain Rice.