Popular Recipes

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

"For Little Tummies"-Squash 'Sweet Hearts'

'E' had a play date yesterday morning with my friend 'P's son and one another boy from his playgroup.Was wondering what snack I could make for them? Just 2 days ago,had asked my mom about the 'pumpkin pooris' she used to make for us.Since,I had the butternut squash left in the refrigerator,decided to make these.

My friend 'P',who by the way is a food fanatic like me, was curious about these pooris too.So we decided to make them together.The pooris came out pretty good but I wasn't so happy with appearance. We just made them into 'rounds' and fried.

In the evening though,before 'M' came back from work,decided to remake the squash pooris and this time.....give them a makeover into 'Squash Sweet Hearts'.

'M' was happy to munch on his childhood's favorite food ,'E' was excited about the 'heart' shape and I...felt ...elated to see my 'sweet hearts' happy!


Ingredients:
1 cup Butternut squash grated
1-2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup jaggery
1/2tbsp sugar
1/4tsp Cardamom powder
1/8 tsp Nutmeg powder
1tsp oil
salt to taste
Oil to fry
Method:
1) In a pan,mix together grated squash,jaggery and sugar.Cook till all the sugar and jaggery melts. On low flame cook about 2 mins more till the mixture looks translucent.
2) Add cardamom and nutmeg and let it cool completely
3) Slowly add wheat flour,salt,oil and knead into a soft dough.Add only as much flour as the squash jaggery mixture can absorb.Can add 1 tsp milk,if dough becomes too hard.
4) Roll out the dough (thicker than chapatis) and cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters.
5) Deep fry in oil until golden brown.




Note: I am sending this recipe to Laura Tabacca's Blog (http://thespicedlife.blogspot.com/
for her 'Family Recipes Event'.


5 comments:

  1. Wow! U remembered the name!Barrobbar ekadum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 'P' mentioned above.
    I learned something new from Deepthi today....she used the smallest kadai ever ...my cereal bowl big & used like 1/4 cup oil to deep fry the poori's.
    Immaterial of the size of the kadai, the poori was good......my son kept telling "Deepthi, good", "Deepthi, huh yummy" & had only the poori's for lunch.
    Next time I buy butternut squash, I'm for sure making this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these pooris. For calorie conscious people: parathas of the same aata taste good too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're adorable and sound fantastic! Thanks for submitting!

    ReplyDelete