Popular Recipes

Saturday, September 26, 2009

"Everyday Cooking"-Potato and Peas Paratha

Yesterday's 'Navaratri Potluck' was a big hit.It was so nice to meet all friends together,share good food, laughter and for a change we (the adults) got to play cards while the kids played on their own..without (much) brawling! I really look forward to such potlucks..where things are kept casual..... just catch up with friends,relax, share recipes and good food,laugh..be your own self....it is soooo much fun !
The 'bread pakoda' appetizer I took along for the party....was liked by everyone.Everyone joked about the color combination in the pakodas.....to be 'very patriotic'! See... now I have a 'special' appetizer I can take along to 'Independence day' potluck ..if we have any!
Since we got back home really late after the card game (which I won... once..yeah!!) last night,waking up this morning was....ummm a bit difficult.But 'E' wakes up at his usual 7.30am time..so we had to too!
What's cooking for lunch?.....No that was not 'M' asking me about lunch(he hardly does!)...it was me asking myself...
'M' isn't interested in food as much as I am.He loves to eat good food...but I guess....he's too lazy (and yes...verryyyyy busy) to make it himself,try out different things,learn about it..etc.His way of 'helping' me in the kitchen would be to order 'pizza' for the meal! Hahahha!
So......without much hesitation..on what to cook for lunch... decided to make Aloo parathas.My friend 'V' had been asking me to put up this recipe,as she likes the parathas I make.So this one is for her...
She herself is an incredible cook....and I have hardly tasted anything she made, which was far from 'perfect'.
Ingredients:
For the stuffing/filling:
2-3 large potatoes boiled mashed without any lumps
1/2 cup cooked green peas mashed well
1/2tsp cumin
1/4 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cumin-coriander powder
2tsp chopped mint (optional)
1tsp garlic paste
2tsp chopped cilantro
salt to taste

For dough:
1 +1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp oil
1/4tsp ajwain/owa seeds
salt to taste
water for kneading

Method:
1) Mix flour,oil,salt,ajwain seeds and knead into a soft dough.Keep aside covered.
2) Mix the mashes potatoes,peas,garlic paste,cumin,garam masala,chili powder,cumin-coriander powder,salt etc and knead well.
3) Make lemon size balls of the dough.Roll into a small circle.
4) Put a small lemon size ball(little small than the dough itself) in the center of the rolled out dough.
5) Cover the stuffing completely by folding the dough from all sides.Stuffing should not ooze out.
6) On a well floured surface, gently (without heavy pressure) roll out the paratha.Roll out thicker than chapatis.
7) Roast the parathas on hot pan, with occasional brushing with oil.
8) Roast till both sides are golden brown.
9)Serve hot with mint-coriander chutney/raita/ketchup/butter.









No comments:

Post a Comment