Had a rough start to the day.'M' usually leaves for work at 6.45 am on Thursdays. 'E' and me sleep till a little later.But today 'E' decides to wake up even before 'M' leaves for work.So obviously I have to wake up early and start the day....
Then.....after the daily chores,I decide to try out this 'Rava Dhokla' for a Potluck party on friday.But...the rava:soda ratio was all messed up and..so was my dhokla....all brown colored and tasting like 'soda'. Cancelled the plans of making this for the party, and started to work towards making lunch. Had planned to make 'Wheat dosas' with grated carrots..and eat it with leftover curries in the fridge..and mint-coriander chutney.But the 'unlucky' streak continued..and my mint-coriander chutney was... bitter..strong tasting....too minty.....not good :(
On top of everything..'E' was in a special mischievous mood today.He spilled one box of juice all over himself, stuck play- doh balls all over the furniture,wanted to play with scissors (!),wanted me to pick him up all the time....and muchhhhh moreeee....
Good part though...was I got a little better at photographing food!( That's what I think!).I took this picture of the 'Black Bean Corn Quesadillas' this morning,between all the craziness...and I believe it came out good! This quesadilla is based on the flavor/tastes of the 'flatbread' we had at the farmers market the other day.I tried it out and it came out really good.
1/2 cup Black beans,boiled (I used canned,drained) and seasoned with salt,chili powder,cumin coriander powder
1/2 cup corn(frozen,thawed in microwave) seasoned with salt and pepper
1/2 cup Tomato salsa (recipe follows)
1 cup Pepper jack cheese shredded/Mexican blend chesse
4 Spinach/Corn/Wheat Tortillas
1 tbsp Cilantro chopped
Olive oil to warm and crisp the quesadillas.
3-4 ripe tomatoes boiled,peeled and crushed OR 1 can of crushed tomatoes
1tsp olive oil
1 clove garlic chopped finely
1 tbsp onion chopped
1/4 tsp cumin coriander powder
salt,pepper,chili powder to taste
1) In a pan,heat 1 tsp oil,add crushed garlic and onions.Fry for 1 min
2) Add the crushed tomatoes, salt, sugar, chili powder,pepper,cumin-coriander powder and heat for 2-3 mins.Turn off heat.
1) Spread about 1-2 tsp salsa on the tortilla.
2) Add 2 tsp black beans, 2tsp corn, 1/4 tsp cilantro,1tbsp pepper jack cheese and fold into half.( Semicircle)
3) Warm on a heated flat pan by brushing olive oil on both sides
4) Warm till the cheese melts and the tortilla gets golden brown marks.
5) Serve hot with sour cream or salsa.
1) Quesadillas can be made with various different fillings like fried Onions+Mushrooms/ fried broccoli/ green peppers/just cheese/Chicken etc
2) Cheese-I personally like the pepper jack cheese due to its spicy taste
3) Instead of corn tortillas,I have also made them with regular whole wheat 'chapatis'.(I usually make them for 'E').They taste pretty good too!