'E' goes to Pre school on Monday,Wednesday and Fridays..so these are the days.... I can do elaborate cooking. For lunch made green bean subzi and chapatis.Now you will say..what's so elaborate in 'Green bean' subzi..but believe me....with 'E' hanging around in the kitchen with me...with all his toys(made into an obstacle course for me), his constant nagging, emptying the shoe-closet in the dining room,demands that I should race his 'hummer' truck once in a while, draw a car on a paper even when I am making dough for chapatis.....ufff....and what else...the list goes on.....With all this ....peeling green beans,cutting into small pearls....let me tell'ya verryyy time consuming...
So after he went to school.....I made the green beans subzi..with green beans cut like small pearls, onion,tomatoes and garlic.This is not the usual way I make it,but tried this one out today.It came out OK....not as I had expected.
In the evening,for dinner,hardly had any appetite for the same green beans and chapati.So turned them into these delicious patties with potatoes and made a complete meal by serving those like 'burgers' in whole wheat bread.Also,realised that, its a great way to 'hide' the beans into the potato,so kids cannot make out what they are eating!Though I cannot complain about my little 'E'..he likes the green bean subzi with chapati.
Here goes the recipe:
2 large boiled potatoes -mashed
1 cup green beans (cooked and seasoned with turmeric,chili powder,cumin-coriander powder and salt) or prepared leftover subzi
1 tsp garlic ginger paste
1-2 tsp mint leaves chopped( Mint is imp.It will cover the 'beany' taste of beans )
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1/4tsp garam masala
salt to taste
Bread crumbs to fry
Oil to fry
Tomatoes,onion slices to garnish
1) Heat 1tsp oil in a pan.Add cumin,garlic ginger paste,fry for a min.
2) Add the mashes potatoes,green beans,chilli powder,mint leaves,garam masala,salt etc and mix all together
3) Let cool.Mix well.
4) Make into patties,roll into seasoned (salt,chili powder) bread crumbs and shallow fry in oil
5) Serve with Ketchup/mint chutney and with tomato and onion slices (like cutlets)
6) Can be eaten as veggie burgers in burger buns or plain slice bread.
7) Instead of mixing the green beans,they could also be stuffed inside the potato covering and then shallow fried.