Popular Recipes

Friday, January 8, 2010

" Sweet Treats"- Scones with Dark Chocolate and Orange zest


I love to have something along with my afternoon tea. Biscottis, Scones are amongst my favorite ones. Even back in India, we always had either Toasts (cake rusks), Khari (sort of puff pastry without any filling), Nan katai's ( buttery yummy cookie) along with tea. I remember there was this old man, who came weekly once, with his container full of these goodies to sell. We called him 'Chachaji'. He always gave me couple extra nankatai's on my hand , as they were my favorite!!
Even now.....after getting married....after having a kid....when I go back to India, Chachaji will still give me couple nanakatai's on my hand! I feel like my childhood has returned.....and I enjoy it!!!

"Scones" are sort of a quick bread....with crumbly texture ....can be sweet /savory....and can be made with various flavors and additions like cranberries, chocolate chips, poppy seeds ,lemon, chives, cheese, rosemary etc etc. One of my favorite flavor combinations is Chocolate + Orange. I love the way these two enhance each other.I used the recipe given by my colleague at Cornell, few years ago. I believe it was her grandma's recipe. The scones comes out nice and crumbly, sweet and perfect for dunking in tea/ coffee.


Ingredients:
2 cups All purpose Flour
1/2 or 3/4 cups Granulated sugar(adjust according to sweetness desired)
2 tsp Baking powder
1/3 cup Unsalted butter (very cold)
1/2 cup heavy cream/ whole milk
1 tsp Vanilla extract
2tsp Orange marmalade(for extra orangy taste)
1 egg
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips/ drak chocolate bar cut into pieces
Zest of 1 orange
1 tsp milk

Method:
1) Pre heat oven to 375F.
2) In a large bowl, mix together flour,sugar, salt,baking powder.
3) In a small cup, beat 1 egg. Keep aside 1 tsp ( for egg wash later). To the rest of the egg, add heavy cream, vanilla. Mix together.
4) Cut the cold butter into small pieces and combine with flour- sugar mixture. Use fingers to blend the butter into the flour. The mixture should look like coarse crumbs. ( Little pieces of butter should be still seen in the mixture). Add the dark chocolate and orange zest,marmalade.
5) Add the egg- cream mixture to the flour. Stir untill combined. Do not over mix.
6) Knead the dough lightly on floured surface. Roll out or pat the dough into a circle. About 1 and 1/2 inches thick. Cut into 8 wedges like pizza.


7) Place the scones on lightly greased baking sheet. Keep them apart.They will spread while baking.
8) Mix together 1 tsp egg and 1 tsp milk.Beat together. Brush onto the scones to get 'shiny' appearance on baking.
9) Bake at 375F for 15 mins or untill lightly browned.




10) Let them cool completely before taking out from the baking sheet.Store in a air tight container.



Enjoy the sweet crumbly Scones with dark chocolate and orange with your favorite tea or coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment