Popular Recipes

Friday, March 8, 2013

Celebrating 300th Blog Post!!

A very special blog post- It's the 300th Blog post and today happens to be Women's Day!!!
Happy Women's Day to all you beautiful ladies, who make Sizzling good food for their families and thanks for visiting 'TheSizzlingPan' and encouraging me.This blog means a lot to me and you make it a 'happier place' for me!!!
So, for the 300th Blog Post...I wanted to try something NEW...which I hadn't cooked before...some new ingredient...some new dish...something brand new for myself and my family!!

Quinoa Veggie Upma:






I had never tried or made Quinoa before, but had heard a lot of good things about this mighty little whole grain.It looks similar to 'Jowar' but very much smaller grain size.It has a High protein content, low in fat, rich in iron and many more reasons to include in your diet. More about Quinoa nutrition:
http://vegetarian.about.com/od/healthnutrition/qt/Quinoa-Nutrition-Facts.htm
I had a pack from Jungle Jims in the pantry, and couldn't wait to try it!

I used the Quinoa to make the very familiar 'Upma' with carrots and peas,so that it will be easy to accept this new grain in the family!!

Ingredients:
1 Cup Whole grain quinoa
1 and 1/2 cup water
1/4 cup Chopped onion
1/4cup Chopped carrots
1/4cup green peas
1/4cup corn kernels
1/4cup roasted peanuts
2-3 green chilies chopped( add more or less to adjust spiciness)
 2 tsp oil
1tsp Cumin seeds
1/2tsp Mustard seeds
1/2tsp sugar
1/2tsp ginger paste
4tsp lemon juice
salt
Cilantro for garnish

Method:
1) Wash the quinoa 2-3 times with water.Drain the water. Boil 1cup quinoa in 1and 1/2 cups water and little salt for 15-20 mins until cooked. It will fluff up.I covered it with a lid and stirred occasionally.
2) Heat 2tsp oil in a pan. When it heats up, add mustard,cumin,onions.Saute for 2 mins.Add other veggies,ginger paste and chilies.Let them cook.Add the roasted peanuts and fry for few more seconds.
3) Add this to the cooked quinoa and mix.Add sugar,Squeeze lemon juice on top.
Garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve hot!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment