Judges were arguing whether Zucchini really has any 'Flavor' of its own??? Some said yes..it definately has a 'Flavor'. The other said.....no zucchini doesn't have any real flavor, but picks up the flavor of other ingredients.
I agree on both sides....Zucchini definitely has a subtle but distinct flavor and it surely does take on the flavors of other ingredients in the dish.
Though I do not rate Zucchini as one of my Favorite veggies...I still buy it to make Zucchini bread (I love it!), I use it in Pastas, make Zucchini fritters, use it in Sambar etc etc.
And Now......I have discovered....a new way to use it!!!
To use it as a 'wrap' for appetizers!
The little Chicken -Zucchini Roll-up Bundles looked cute and tasted awesome!!!
The chicken was Spicy and well complemented by the soft texture and subtle flavor of zucchini.
6 Bite size (or little bigger) pieces of boneless chicken( I cut out cubes from a boneless chicken breast)
6 long thinly cut Zucchini strips.
1/4tsp Chili powder
1/4tsp mint paste
1/4tsp tandoor masala/ garam masala
1/4tsp cumin-corainder powder
few drops of lemon juice
1) Marinate the chicken pieces with ginger garlic paste, turmeric, lemon juice, chili powder, tandoor masala, salt etc.Let it sit in refrigerator for 15 mins.
2) Carefully cut thin strips of zucchini. Not too thick or thin.They should be sturdy enough to hold shape and able to wrap around the chicken.
3) Sprinkle little salt and chili powder over the zucchini strips.
4) Carefully wrap the strips around Marinated chicken and secure with a tooth pick.
6) Place the Roll up bundles carefully in the oil, vertically(tooth picks still on). Let it brown from bottom.Then turn around till the other side browns. Chicken at both ends should be browned.
7) Then turn the bundles around on their sides. Let the zucchini brown a little bit. Do not over cook. But the chicken should be cooked well through.Check with a toothpick.
8) Cover the pan with a lid and let the bundles cook for 1-2 mins.
9) Remove promptly and serve warm.
A perfect Party Appetizer sure to wow your guests!