Since coming to USA, fudge hasn't been a rare treat at all! You find it everywhere....and in so many different flavors...you can't imagine! This time..I thought instead of buying..I am going to give it a try....and make it myself!
I made it in two layers....Chocolate-Walnut layer topped with 'burfi' like white layer....
Need I say.....it looks pretty and tastes yummlicious??
1 -14Oz can Sweet condensed Milk
1- 12 Oz semi-sweet/dark chocolate morsels
1/2cup Milk powder
1tsp Vanilla essence
3/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts
1 tsp sugar
1) Toast the walnuts in oven at 350F for 7 mins.Let them cool
2) Line a square pan with aluminum foil. Leave excess foil on all four sides, to make it easier for removing the fudge.
3) Make a double boiler- Heat a big pot of water.On top place a little smaller glass/metal vessel which will fit snugly on the big pot.The steam from the big pot should heat this small vessel.
4) For 'Burfi' like white layer-In the double boiler, add 1/4 can condensed milk, 1/2 cup milk powder, 2 tbsp butter,1tsp sugar. Let it cook on the boiler and stir continously. Cook for 3-4 mins till everthing comes together and becomes sticky.Take off the boiler.Add few drops of vanilla essence.
5) Spread this mixture on the pan lined with aluminum foil.Spread into thin layer and let it cool.
6)For Chocolate-Walnut layer- Place another glass/ metal vessel on double boiler.Add almost all the chocolate morsels(keep handfull aside for decoration later), the remaining condensed milk and 3 tbsp butter.Let the mixture melt gently on double boiler and stir continously.Make sure it doesn't burn.
7) The chocolate morsels will melt and the mixture turns 'shiny' .Cook for 3-4 mins.Add walnuts, vanilla essence.Mix.
8) Layer this hot mixture on top of the 'white burfi' layer. Smooth the top side.Let it sit at room temp till it cools down.
9) Refrigerate 1-2 hrs.
10) Carefully remove the hardened fudge from the pan.Peel off the aluminum foil carefully.Turn the fudge up-side-down so that the white layer is on top now.
11) Cut into squares with a sharp long knife.Wipe the knife with wet paper towel, in between the lines.
12) Press the left over chocolate morsels onto the white layer for decoration.