'M' and I haven't been to a theater, to watch a movie together, since 'E' was born ( And 'E' is now 2and 1/2 yrs old!).We 'try' to eat out...but it is no where 'peacefull'.We have to take turns eating and entertaining 'E'...it's a Big venture!!!
So.....since 'E' started pre-school from September this year..I started dreaming on- how I would utilize the time I have 'off' and what all we could do! Those 3 hrs (9am to 12pm) were going to be 'ours'.
I made plans..once 'M' and I can go for a movie...or may be just for a 'brunch' to some Cafe. My first plan ..of going to a movie failed....as there are no shows from 9am to 12 pm in Regal Cinema,Ithaca.What a bummer! But we did work on our next plan....
Lat week 'M' took a morning off from work....we went to this place called 'Hope's Way Catering and Cafe' nearby.They have many 'brunchy' items on menu-soups, pastas, salads,scones, muffins,pound cakes,coffee cakes etc etc.Also, they are famous for their incredibly yummy desserts.
We tried this 'Tomato-Parmesan' soup on that snowy- wintry morning.The soup was nice and creamy, had a pinkish hue.It was amazing to sip on warm soup, in the cozy Cafe.....especially 'M' by my side....
I tried to make 'similar' soup at home this week...and it came out pretty good!
2 cup milk
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I used Parmesan-Romano cheese)
1tbsp crushed tomatoes/ 1tsp ketchup
2 tsp All pupose flour
1tbsp onion finely chopped
1tsp Italian seasoning
Red chili powder
Oyster Crackers/Croutons/ Bread to serve along
1) Heat 1tsp butter in a sauce pan. Add the chopped onions.Fry till translucent.
Add the all purpose flour .Fry for few seconds.
2) Add the milk and mix well. Let the flour cook and the 'sauce'/ soup thicken up.
3) Add the tomatoes, seasoning, black pepper, sugar , chili powder, crushed tomatoes and let it simmer.The soup gets a 'pinkish' color.
4) Add the grated cheese. Mix well. Check for salt. Cheese is pretty salty, so add salt after tasting.Adjust consistency with milk/water.
4) Serve warm with Oyster crackers/ Croutons/ Bread.
Sip on the warm,creamy soup with tomatoes with the warmth of black pepper and chili powder!