Ever wonder what to do with that BIG cabbage head you buy at the grocery store? It lies in my refrigerator for an awfull amount of time.Last week after buying the cabbage.....I used the cabbage to make 'Bhaji' , then in chinese type stir fry, in fried rice, in mix veg soup....but still some was left. I remembered the 'Kobi chi vadi' my mom used to make. It is nothing but cabbage, gram flour mixed together....kneaded into rolls, steamed.....cut into discs...and shallow fried. It doesn't feel that there is 'cabbage' in there and is a sure winner for those 'Cabbage dislikers' out there.
Couple months ago I tried a different version of this, but this time decided to stick with the 'known simple' version of it. They came out really good.....I was snacking on those all day long!!!
1 cup cabbage finely chopped
1 and 1/2 cups Gram flour/ Besan
1tbsp corn flour
1tsp garlic ginger paste
1/4 cup roasted sesame seeds
1tsp tamarind extract+ 1tbsp jaggery mixed in little water
1tsp chili powder
1/2tsp cumin seeds
1) Mix together cabbage, Gram flour, corn flour, turmeric, cumin, chili powder,sesame seeds, ginger garlic paste,salt etc. Knead with the tamarind-jaggery water. The dough is very sticky.Add only as much water as necessary to make semi soft dough. If dough is too hard, vadis will be hard and dry.If too soft, it will be hard to make into logs.
2) With oiled hands, roll the dough into log shape.
3) Place the logs into oiled vessels.
4) Steam in pressure cooker without whistle for 20-25 mins.Let them cool.
6) Shallow fry in oil untill golden brown and crisp .
7) Garnish with roasted sesame seeds and serve warm with ketchup.