1 and 1/2 cup all purpose flour (sifted)
3/4th cup Granulated Sugar
1/3rd Cup Canola oil
1/4 th cup Cocoa powder (I used Hershey's dark chocolate powder)
1tsp Baking soda
1/2tsp Instant coffee powder
1 and 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
1 tbsp Vinegar (use just few drops less then 1tbsp..to avoid the vinegary smell)
1 cup cold water
1/2 stick Unsalted butter
4tbsp Cream cheese
3/4 to 1 cup powdered sugar (adjust according to sweetness desired)
1/2tsp vanilla essence
Beet grated and juice squeezed out
Mini chocolate chips/ grated chocolate bar
1) Preheat the oven to 350F (preheating is very imp). Grease the 8 inch pan with vegetable shortening. Apply liberally in all corners.Dust with all purpose flour to coat the pan.
2)First sift flour, sugar separately.Then by a spoon add to the measuring cup to measure exact amounts.Level with a knife.DO NOT pack the flour into the cup.The ratios will change and the cake will not come out as good.
3) Mix wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls.
4) Mix them together in a single direction.Bubbles will appear as vinegar reacts with baking soda.Do not over mix.But all the lumps should be gone
5) Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 mins.Do not open the door for first 20 mins atleast.
6) Check with a tooth pick, if the cake is done.The inserted toothpick should come out clean.
7) Flip on a serving platter carefully
8) Let it cool for 1hr or so before icing.
1)With a electric blender mix together butter,cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla till smooth and fluffy.
2)Add beet juice to achieve the desired shades of pink (I made 3 different shades)
Spread the white icing in thin layer on the cooled cake.
3)Fit the icing bag ( you can use a ziplock bag with tip cut) with a small round icing tip.Fill a icing bag with 1 colored icing.Pipe out hearts on the cake.Use the other shades and pipe out the entire surface of the cake with hearts.
4) On the sides of the cake, stick the mini chocolate chips/ grated chocolate bar with a flat knife.
5) Keep the cake refrigerated and covered.
Enjoy with your Loved ones:))