How many times have you actually read the 'Recipe Ideas' which are printed on the carton when you buy something? For me atleast...not many times.I am pretty much decided what I want to cook before I open... or sometimes... even before I buy the ingredient.So very few times have I actually read a recipe and saved it.This one is.... one of those few times!
I was looking for a 'appetizer' recipe for a dinner party at my house.We had invited our friends and their parents visiting from India.Now, I did not want to make the same old typical appetizers...pakodas,vadas,samosas etc especially because I wanted to make something 'new' for my friends parents.So while searching for a 'novel' appetizer....I came across this recipe...Where???.....In my freezer! Hahaha!
I had some Pepperidge Farm puff pastry in my freezer.Just before making my weekend brunch favorite 'Veggie puffs' ,I happened to look at this recipe on the back of the box.And Tadah!!!!! I had the appetizer recipe idea for the dinner party the next week! Everyone devoured it and none was left over after the party!
Here is the recipe from Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Carton: (I modified it a little bit to suite our taste and for my convenience)
1 Puff pastry sheet
1 bag Spinach,cooked and well drained OR Use frozen-thawed and well drained
3/4 cup Pepper jack cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 onion chopped
1/2 tsp garlic paste
1/4tsp Black pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
Salt to taste
1) Thaw Puff pastry sheet as per packet instructions and preheat oven to 400F
2) Heat 1tsp oil, add garlic paste stir.Add chopped onions and fry for 2 mins.Add the cooked, well drained spinach,salt and fry for 2 more mins.Let it cool.
3) Beat 1 egg and mix 1tsp water - use for brushing puff pastry
4) Add the cheeses,red pepper flakes,black pepper to the Spinach mixture and mix well.
4)Unfold puff pastry on lightly floured surface.Brush with egg mixture.Top with spinach and cheese mixture.Spread evenly.
5) Starting at the short side closest to you,roll like a jelly roll.Cut horizontally into 20 slices.
6) Place slices,cut side down on baking sheet ( sprayed with cooking spray).Brush with egg mixture.
7) Bake for 15 mins or until golden brown.
8) Serve warm with Ketchup/Hot chili sauce.
I actually made the rolls and slices the day before the party and froze them on a baking sheet in the freezer.On the day of the party,half hour before I wanted to serve it,I just popped them in the oven and ....Voila! We had our delicious Spinach Cheese Swirls!