Popular Recipes

Monday, October 19, 2009

"Chatpata Chaat'- Tostitos Chaat

So, as I had mentioned earlier Saturday night was the 'Diwali Potluck'. I love these potlucks, first of all we get to meet all the friends,secondly we can 'dress up' in traditional way to out hearts content and thirdly we get to sample all this great food! This time I was in charge of making 'appetizers'. Since it was Diwali,and I had to do Pooja, cook other things for Diwali,clean the house as M's mama was visiting us for Diwali etc etc.....I decided to make an easier appetizer.How easy can anything get than making..rather ...'assembling' a 'Chaat'??? I had tried making 'Sev Poori' with 'Tostitos' before and it tasted delicious...did not miss the 'traditional sev poori' pooris there.The really 'main' item I had to prepare was the chutney....because that's what's going to give the chaat its 'tempting ' flavor....and make your mouth water!
I could prepare everything in advance and just assemble when we were ready to eat! Though ..the assembly took quite some time and I needed few extra hands to do that(of course my friends were helpful and did not complain!)
Here is the recipe for 'Tostitos Chaat':
Ingredients:
1 Bag Tostitos Scoops (look for unbroken ones)
1 onion chopped
3 tomatoes chopped
1/4 cup cilantro chopped
1/2 cup Farsan/mixture
1/2 cup Thin sev
1 cup boiled mashed potato
1 cup boiled green mung beans
1/2 cup Mint-Cilantro-Tamarind -jaggery Chutney (recipe follows)
1/2 tsp chaat masala
1/4tsp ajwain seeds

For Chutney:
1/2 cup mint leaves
1/4 cup cilantro
2tsp tamarind extract
1/4cup grated jaggery
1/2 green chili
1/4 tsp crushed garlic
1/4 tsp cumin-coriander powder
1/2tsp chili powder
salt to taste
Grind all together in a blender with little water,to make chutney. Adjust seasoning if needed to make the chutney Sweet-sour-spicy.

Method:
1) Boil potatoes and mash well.Add salt,chaat masala and ajwain seeds and mix.
2) Soak and cook green mung beans. Do not over cook.They should remain 'whole'.Add salt,chili powder and mix.
3) For assembling the chaat....
Take a Tostito scoop, add 1/2 tsp boiled potato,1/2 tsp mung beans.Top with farsan, onions,tomatoes, chutney, sev and cilantro.
4) Serve immediately. The tostitos are pretty 'hardy' and won't go 'soggy' easily,but who can resist eating such tempting ....mouth watering chaat ?
.......Not me!
Enjoy!






2 comments:

  1. yummmmy...never thought of using tosito scoops for SPDP....
    I made the pedhas and they were awesome. Took them to two get-togethers and everyone loved them. In fact another one of my friends tried out your recipe and loved them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's great! They come out really goood everytime!I am glad everyone liked it!

    ReplyDelete