These are excellent health food for kids, adults and diabetic patients.
'Ragidlis' were obviously brown/reddish colored and tasted great! The same batter made excellent dosas. 'M' loved the dosa better....it came out crisp just like paper dosa! Sorry the picture isn't that great...but believe me..there was 'crunch' in every single bite!!!
Ragidlis/ Ragi Dosa
1 Cup urad dal
2 cups Ragi flour/ Nachani flour
Cooking spray to spray idli molds.
1 cup chopped fresh tender spinach leaves
1 clove garlic
1-2 green chilies
few drops of lemon juice
Grind all the above ingredients till smooth.
Tempering: Heat 1tsp oil, add 1/2tsp mustard,1/2tsp cumin, pinch of asafoetida.Pour on the chutney.
1 cup well cooked Toor dal (cook in pressure cooker)
1/2 cup well cooked masoor dal
1 cup cut up veggies- drumsticks, onions, eggplants, zucchini, carrots,cauliflower etc
1 tomato sliced/chopped
2tsp Sambar masala
1tsp red chili powder
1tsp turmeric powder
7-8 curry leaves
1/2tsp mustard seeds
1/2tsp cumin seeds
1/2tsp tamarind concentrate
1-2 red dried chilies
1) Heat oil, add mustard seeds, cumin,red chilies, curry leaves.Add the vegetables and stir for 2-3 mins. Add the sambar masala, turmeric,red chili powder etc. Add the cooked dal and water.
Let it simmer till the vegetables cook. Add tamarind, jaggery, salt etc and boil for another 5-6 mins.
1) Soak Urad in water for 5-6 hours.
2) Soak Ragi flour in water for 1 hour.
3) Grind the dal into smooth paste. Blend the ragi flour paste in blender couple times.
4) Mix ground up dal+ ragi and let it ferment overnight in warm place.The batter will rise 2-3times.
5) Add salt and 1tsp oil to the batter. Make batter in the Idli molds and steam for 20 mins.
6) For Dosa: Heat a non stick pan. Lightly coat with oil. Place a large spoonful batter and make a circle by spreading quickly. Let it cook on medium -low flame. Remove when crisp and done.
7) Serve the Idli/ Dosa hot along with steaming hot sambar and fresh coconut-spinach chutney!!