Every year...I am trying out new TilGul recipes...some I have liked....and some I need to improve on and practice. Couple years ago, when Mummy was here, she made these Soft,Sweet 'Sesame-Peanut' vadis. They had a perfect texture/ softness to them yet holding their shape properly. Lazy me...I forgot to note down exact ratio of what she added. I asked her today..and like all 'Pro' cooks...she says...just add the ingredients by your judgement. No Mummy..I am not as great cook as you are..I am still under training...I need exact ratios:)
1 Cup coarse ground roasted sesame(til) seeds
3/4 Cup coarse ground roasted peanuts
1 and 1/2 cups grated Jaggery
1tsp Ghee + little to coat a plate
1tsp Cardamom powder
2tsp grated coconut for garnish
Few Pistachio pieces for garnish
1) Lightly roast the sesame seeds. Make into coarse powder after cooling
2) Heat a pan, add ghee and the jaggery +1tsp water.Let it melt completely
3) Butter a plate to make vadis
4) Add the sesame powder, peanut powder, cardamon powder and mix till everything comes together.
5)Press this mixture onto the buttered plate with a buttered steel bowl/vati.
6) Sprinkle dry coconut powder and press again
7) With a sharp buttered knife, cut into small squares.Press a pistachio piece onto each vadi.Let it cool completely
8) Cut again with a sharp knife