Popular Recipes

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Brown Rice- Spicy Green Chili and Onion "Appe"

It's weekend and have promised myself to write a blog post at least every week or two.
Since a long time, I had been wanting this 'Appe' pan, and finally I have it!!!
 Now, there might be many "Appe' batter recipes...but I remember the ones my mom made when I was little. She used the plain 'Idli' batter and added onions,green chilies and cilantro to the batter.I did just the same!! I used brown rice to make a healthier version.

Ingredients:
1.5 Cups brown rice
0.5 Cup white rice
1 cup Urad daal
salt

1 Finely chopped Onion
2 -4 green chilies finely chopped
1tbsp chopped cilantro
1 tsp cumin

Method:
1) Soak brown rice, white rice and daal separately for 5-6 hrs. Grind them into a fine paste and mix.
2) Let the batter ferment overnight.
3) Brush the Appe pan with oil and keep on the hot stove.
4) Add the chopped onion,green chilies, cilantro,salt and cumin to the batter.
5) Add 2tsp batter to the appe pan and cook with lid on for 2-3 mins.Turn the appe gently with a wooden dowel/ spoon.
6) Add a few drops oil. Let it cook for 1-2 mins till golden brown.



7) Serve  hot with your favorite chutney and sambar!



No comments:

Post a Comment