S and her mom had cooked an amazingly delicious dinner for about 25-30 guests. They had made...Chana masala, Paneer subzi, Rice kheer, Spinach cutlets, Jeera Rice,Pooris etc. The food was so delicious and the flavor combinations so 'right on spot'/ perfect..that I was left licking my fingers! Her mom had a 'Ekadashi' fast on that day and couldn't taste the food that she was cooking....in such large quantity...and yet the meal was so flavorful!!! It had me wonder...how can anyone cook so perfectly without tasting the food.I guess it's the years of experience that her mom had!!! Afterall...what a 'mom' cooks...it the BEST food of all!!!
For me...I HAVE to taste the food to check the seasoning...otherwise I hardly feel confident about my cooking.Maybe I will learn with experience over the years...
1 lb Boneless chicken/ 2 and1/2 cups cubed chicken
2 large onions
1 tomato chopped
1/2 Green bell pepper sliced thinly
1/2cup whole milk/cream (MALAI)
1tbsp Dry milk powder
1/4 cup Cashews
1/4 cup yogurt
2tsp Sesame seeds
1tsp ginger garlic paste
1tsp Chili powder(add more for spicier taste)
1/2tsp turmeric powder
1/2tsp Garam masala
1/2tsp Shah Jeera (cumin)
1 small cinnamon stick
Chopped Cilantro for garnish
1) Mix yogurt, chili powder,turmeric powder,garam masala,salt and the cubed chicken.Marinate for 1/2hr in the refrigerator.
2) Heat 1 tsp oil add 1 large chopped onion.Fry till golden.Add cashews,sesame seeds and fry till golden brown. Let it cool. Grind in to smooth paste in the blender along with ginger garlic paste.
3) Heat 3 tsp oil, add the bay leaf, cumin, cinnamon stick, 1 chopped onion.Fry couple of mins. Add the sliced green pepper, tomatoes and fry till cooked. Add the marinated chicken and fry for 4-5 mins.
4) Add the onion-cashew paste to the pan. Cover with lid and cook for 6-8 mins.Add salt to taste.
5) Add the milk/cream and milk powder and mix. Simmer on low flame till the chicken is tender and cooked.
6) Garnish with cilantro and serve hot along with Pulav/ Rotis/ Naan.