What I added...And Why???
Oats: 100% Whole Grain
Puffed Rice: For crunch(has low calories per serving)
Almonds: Mono unsaturated fats, protein
Pistachio: Oleic acid, vitamins and minerals, lowest fat nut
Wheat bran: Fiber
Flax meal:Antioxidants, minerals, fiber
Chia seeds:Omega 3 fatty acids
Olive oil- unsaturated fats, crisp up the cereal
Light brown Sugar and honey- Sweetness
Cinnamon: highest anti oxidant strength,helps lower 'bad' cholesterol
Dried cranberries: Sweet-tart flavor, Vitamin C
This granola won't be as 'Crunchy' as the store bought one....well.....because it isn't loaded on sugars and fats!!
3 Cups Quick cooking oats/ you can use whole oats too (any 100% whole grain oats)
1Cup Puffed Rice (puffed brown rice would be great!!)
1/2 Cup chopped Almonds
1/2 cup chopped Pistachio
1/2 cup Light brown sugar
1/4 cup dried cranberries
2tbsp Unprocessed Wheat bran
2tbsp Flax meal
2tsp Chia seeds
2tsp olive oil
Canola oil Cooking spray
Preheat oven to 300F
1) Mix the oil, sugar,salt, cinnamon and honey.
2) Add rest of the ingredients except the cranberries
3) Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.Spread the cereal mix on the sheet and spray it with cooking spray.
4) Bake the cereal for 60-70 mins until toasted, mixing and turning it every 15 mins. The nuts should turn slightly toasted.DO NOT LET IT BURN!!
5) After cooling, mix the dried cranberries and store in a container.