I have experimented with a bunch of variety of Idlies (You can find the recipes here-http://www.my-kitchens-aroma.blogspot.com/search/label/South%20Indian%20Food)....and today I used 3 different daals and brown rice to make this delicious idli-dosa combo lunch!
Here is "E's favorite way to eat dosa..."Topi" Dosa....dosa folded like a hat!
1.5 cups Long grain brown rice
1/3 cup Urad daal
1/3 cup Moong daal
1/3 cup Chana daal
Sliced carrots(optional) for Idlies
1) Soak the daals and rice together for 4 hours.
2) Grind into fine paste in a mixie/blender with water to make a semi-thick consistency batter.
3) Ferment overnight till the batter doubles in size ( I pre-warm the oven for 8 mins on the oven 'warm' setting.Then turn the Oven OFF.But the batter in the oven and cover with a lid.OR you can leave the oven light on overnight to make some warmth in the oven and help the batter rise.)
4) Just before cooking Idlies, add the salt, stir gently 2-3 times.Over mixing will result in flat idlies.
5) Spray the idli stand with oil cooking spray. Add sliced carrots(optional), add batter and steam for 15-20 mins
6)Serve hot along with Chutney and Sambar
1) Heat a nonstick pan on medium heat.When heated apply oil to the pan with a paper towel.
2) Spread a large spoonful batter thinly into circular shape quickly.
3) Add few drops of oil to the sides.Let it crisp up and turn golden brown.
4) Serve hot along with Chutney/Potato bhaji/ sambar
Mint-Spinach Peanut Chutney
1/2 Cup roasted peanuts
1/2 cup baby spinach leaves
10-12 mint leaves
2-3 green chilies
In a blender/mixie and all the ingredients and blend into a fine paste with some water.