http://www.barleyfoods.org/nutrition.html) It has the slow digesting carbohydrates called "beta glucans" in the grain.I also read that, the beta glucans and the fiber is distributed throughout the grain and hence...even if it is "pearled" barley( bran and outer layers removed)...it is still better than many other refined grains.(http://www.oprah.com/health/Why-Barley-Makes-the-Best-Breakfast)
Cooked Pearl barley:
1/2 cup pearl barley (pressure cook in 1 cup water plus little salt)
1/2 cup finely chopped spinach
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 boiled potato(mashed)
3/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs( E doesn't like his sandwich with crust.I cut them off,freeze them..pulse them to make these whole wheat bread crumbs.)
1/2 tsp finely chopped garlic
1/2tsp red pepper flakes
olive/ canola oil for shallow frying
1) Cook the pearl barley in pressure cooker -3 whistles.Let it cool completely.
2) Mix the cooked barley,chopped spinach,onion,mashed potato,garlic,red pepper flakes,cumin,salt,1/4 cup of bread crumbs and mix well.
3) Heat a non stick pan with oil for shallow frying.
4) Make patties with the above mixture.Roll them in the bread crumbs and fry on medium- low heat till they are golden brown and crisp on the outside.
5) Serve hot along with your favorite sauce/ maggie hot and sweet sauce( I love it!!)/ green mint chutney.