Thinking about it the next day...all I wanted to do was ...eat Spinach Rice!! The 'green' rice also reminded me of the 'Mint' Rice my friend J's mom made during our college days.
So....I combined them both..to make this amazingly flavorful and nutritious Spinach-Mint Rice! I would totally try this one with brown rice the next time I make it.
1 Cup Basmati Rice washed and kept aside for 20 mins
1 Cup Spinach leaves
1/3 cup mint leaves
1/4 cup chopped onion
1tsp Shah jeera
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/2tsp garam masala powder
2 green chilies
5-6 whole black pepper
1 bay leaf
2 cups hot water
1) In 1tsp oil, saute the spinach and garlic till tender.Let it cool. Make it into a paste along with mint leaves and green chilies with 1-2 tsp water.
2) Heat the rest of the oil, add the shah jeera, bay leaf, cloves, black pepper and onions.Fry till onions are translucent.Add the washed rice, garam masala powder and cashews and saute for 1 min
3) Add the pureed spinach+ mint. Mix .Add salt and add the hot boiling water.
4) Let it cook with the lid on till the rice is cooked through.
5) Serve hot along with little ghee, yogurt raita and pickle!!