Popular Recipes

Friday, April 5, 2013

A Sizzling Good Read:: "Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan

"Ignorance Is Bliss" they say....but NOT when it comes to FOOD.. as Michael Pollan says - "I think we enjoy food much more if we take a little time to know what it is we're putting in our mouths".

So true!!! Food is such an integral part of our 'being',of our health, that it does deserve special attention and 'that' much importance. I always wonder, when people treat food as something like a 'chore' and take 'pride' in saying that they know little or have little interest in food/what they are eating or they are not interested in 'cooking' or learning to do so. I feel it's like saying - I don't care for myself and my family....Would you take pride in saying that?

In the book,there were many things about 'WHERE and HOW' our food comes from...many shocking facts....many eye openers!!! The book talks about 'Industrialization' of food, corn corn corn being everywhere, animal treatment in the factories (this was the hardest part to read)...no wonder many readers turned into 'Vegetarians' after reading the book...I might be on the verge....let's see.

I am glad...I am educating myself in this regard...but at the same time it's almost hard to think about food, as mere pleasure. All other thoughts keep lurking in my mind...it is indeed a Omnivore's Dilemma!





No comments:

Post a Comment